Idaho Department of Lands requires individuals living outside city limits, anywhere in Idaho who plan to burn for any reason - including crop residue burning but excluding recreational campfires- during “closed fire season” from May 10th to October 20th every year, to obtain a fire safety burn permit. Fire safety burn permits can be obtained online at BurnPermits.Idaho.Gov.

Prior to burning, be sure to call DEQ (Department of Environmental Quality) @ (208) 373-0313 or check the air quality index.

logo- Idaho Department of Environmental Quality

Meridian Fire Department does not require you to get a separate burn permit. We only require you to call DEQ and follow the rules listed in the coordinating pamphlet below.

Note: It is not required for you to call the Meridian Fire Department before burning.

pamphlet cover - open burning in city limits
pamphlet cover - open burning outside city limits

Not sure if you are inside or outside City limits? Visit our interactive map here, or call us at (208) 888-1234.

Recreational Fires

It is legal to have open outdoor recreational fires such as, campfires, ceremonial fires or open pit fires for barbecues in the city limits of Meridian and in the Meridian Fire District (county/ rural) as long as all conditions listed below have been met and air quality permits.

Outdoor Recreational Fires must not have a total fuel area larger than 3 feet in diameter and not more than 2 feet in height and can only be used for pleasure, religious, ceremonial, cooking, warmth or similar purposes.

Recreational fires shall not be conducted within 25 feet of a structure or combustible material. Conditions which could cause a fire to spread within 25 feet of a structure shall be eliminated prior to ignition. Recreational Fires in approved appliances shall not be conducted within 15 feet of a structure or combustible material.

Fires shall be constantly attended until the fire is extinguished. A minimum of one portable fire extinguisher with a minimum of 4-A rating or other method of extinguishment shall be available for immediate utilization.

Crop Residue Burning

Crop Residue Burning requires a permit through DEQ. If you have questions, you can call the Crop Residue Burning hotline @ 1-866-224-2456, the DEQ Regional Office nearest you, or visit the DEQ website.

Crop Residue Burning in Idaho - brochure

Burning of Trade Waste

Burning Trade Waste is prohibited. This includes trade wastes generated during construction, renovation, demolition, or repairs.