Skip to main content

Open Burning Regulations

Idaho Department of Lands requires individuals living outside city limits, anywhere in Idaho who plan to burn for any reason - including crop residue burning but excluding recreational campfires- during “closed fire season” from May 10th to October 20th every year, to obtain a fire safety burn permit. Fire safety burn permits can be obtained online at BurnPermits.Idaho.Gov. Prior to burning, be sure to call DEQ (Department of Environmental Quality) at (208) 373-0313 or check the air quality index.

The only types of open burning allowed inside the City limits of Meridian are:
  1. Irrigations Ditches
  2. Recreational or Warming Fires
  • It is legal to have open outdoor recreational fires such as campfires, ceremonial fires or open pit fires for barbeques in the Meridian city limits as long as all conditions listed below have been met and air quality permits.
  • Outdoor Recreational Fires must not have a total fuel area larger than 3 feet in diameter and not more than 2 feet in height and can only be used for pleasure, religious, ceremonial, cooking, warmth or similar purposes.
  • Recreational fires shall not be conducted within 25 feet of a structure or combustible material. Conditions which could cause a fire to spread within 25 feet of a structure shall be eliminated prior to ignition. Recreational Fires in approved appliances (example: outdoor fireplace) shall not be conducted within 15 feet of a structure or combustible material. Fires shall be constantly attended until the fire is extinguished.

Illegal materials to burn at ANYTIME

The Fire Department is authorized to order the extinguishment of any open burning that creates or adds to a hazardous or objectionable situation.

Lawn Clippings

Railroad Ties

Dead Animals


Junk Motor Vehicles

Pathogenic Waste

Tar/Tar Paper

Rubber Materials




Petroleum Products

Telephone Poles

Construction Waste

Household Waste


Commercial Waste

Insulated Wire

Hazardous Materials

Oil, Grease

Asphalt Materials

Industrial Waste


Preserved/Treated Wood

Not sure if you are inside or outside City limits? Visit our interactive map here, or call us at (208)888-1234.

Prior to burning

  • If burning between May 10th and October 20th, you must have a burn permit through Idaho Department of Lands. You can obtain a burn permit by visiting Permits are free and good for 10 days. NOTE: It is illegal to burn when open burning has been banned because of an air pollution alert or severe stagnation conditions exist.
  • Call DEQ Air Quality Hotline at 208-373-0313 for current air conditions. It is your responsibility to confirm that air quality allows open burning for the day of your planned burn. You can also check to see if burning is allowed by visiting the DEQ website at:
  • Notify neighbors of the burning to take place.
  • City Brochure
  • County Brochure


Rules when burning

  • Burning hours shall be from 8:00 am to sunset (with the exception of recreation fires)
  • No burning shall take place on days when wind is predicted to be 10 mph or greater, creating a hazard or when red flag warnings of high fire danger are forecasted.
  • Have available firefighting equipment such as shovels, buckets and garden hoses or other water supply (if available)
  • Fuel areas can be no large than 4x8 feet, and not more than 4 feet in height.
  • Property owner or their agent shall be in constant attendance until fire is completely extinguished,
  • Any damages resulting from open burning will be the responsibility of the person conduction the burning operations.


Department of Environmental Quality Crop Residue Burning (CRB) Program

What Grower’s need to know……

  • Idaho’s Crop Residue Burning Program is designed to be protective of public health while enabling growers to burn under specific conditions.
  • Crop Residue burning requires a Special Permit from the Department of Environment Quality.
  • For complete conditions, regulations and information please contact the Department of Environmental Quality.
  • Crop Residue Burning Hotline: 1-866-224-2456
  • Public access to information on crop residue burning is readily available on the DEQ’s web site at:
  • Crop Residue Burning Brochure

You MUST ensure ahead of time that all burning is conducted in accordance with local ordinances and regulations. Any smoke cause from burning is required to rise up and away from neighbors, highways and other populated areas. Failure to make these determinations before conduction burning operations may result in a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of not more that $500.00 or by imprisonment not exceeding 30 days, or both such fine and imprisonment.

In all of Ada County, Burn Barrels are strictly prohibited.


© Copyright 2024, Meridian, Idaho. All rights reserved. Privacy Statement Terms of Use Accessibility